1.a thin piece of bread or toast or a cracker spread or toppedwith cheese, caviar, anchovies, or other savory food.
- Canapes are a type of hors d’oeuvres, made with a base of bread or crackers, and topped with an assortment of small, usually savory toppings. They are typically found at the cocktail hour of many wedding receptions before dinner is served.
The word itself is French, and literally means couches, curtains or drapes (this literally means food drapes or covers the bread/cracker base).
A canape can consist of just about anything, though there are four basic parts:
1. the base (bread, cracker, cucumber)
2. a spread (tapenade, mousse)
3. a main item (smoked salmon, prosciutto)
4. garnish (capers,chopped veggies, truffle oil, herbs, scallions etc.)
Locals in the DMV- Canapes has another meaning as well- a fabulous catering company and exclusive caterer for Thorpewood. We’re looking forward to working with them in October- but more on that later!